Tuesday, September 13

But the Water, it Tastes So Good

Productive Idleness - How you can send money to Hurricane Katrina relief without spending a dime? So leave a comment, won't you? What an amazing thing to do.

I've heard word recently that one of my best friends was back with a "woman" who has "treated him badly" in the past. Or rather that he had been back with her, and that now he was "finally over her for good". Good for him, I say! She's no good for you, I say! Many many things, I say! That I've said many many times before, in the exact same context, regarding the exact same "woman".

Situation: You're living 300 years ago. You live on a farm, and you have a well. One day, you go to your well and take a drink. Mmm, water, you think. This water is some mighty fine water! That night, you wake up with such explosive poo water that you have a hard time crawling back into bed. You are sick, and go to stay with your mother for 6 months while you recover.

When you're finally well again, you return to your little farm. You have a great first day, full of fun and surprises, and My, isn't that just the tastiest water EVER? Followed that night by the poo water once again. And then again with the recovery at your mother's house.

Wouldn't you think that after a few cycles of this, you'd decide that maybe there was something wrong with the water?

5 comments:

Nobody said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the metaphor. :-)As my best friend just finalized her divorce, I can assure you:

Eventually your buddy will see the damage that the poo water is doing to him and will find the poo water as utterly repulsive as you do! Some people just need to get SO sick, that there is NO, NO, NO way but up.

As a friend it sucks, b/c the advice gets monotonous and pointless when it is never taken.

Hang in there... I assure you that your friend will eventually get sick of the runs ;-)!

Jess said...

If I could giggle and not get busted at work, I would totally have been laughing my tush off.

I think the first time would have convinced me to avoid the water. Then again, I was in and out of one of those relationships before, so I guess I wasn't as smart then as I am now. Amazing what hindsight can do for a person.

A good friend is the person that stands by your side during every bought of illness, and while they never say "I told you so" they tell you again and again what they told you before--don't drink the damn water! Good for you for being the voice of reason.

Jim said...

Yes, great metaphor. I've learned that when people are insane like this, it's no use trying to help them.

(Definition of insanity here being: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.)

Byagi said...

Maybe its kind of like drinking - they like the taste and the way it makes them feel, so they will deal with the explosive poo.

They just dont realize that doing that long term can cause some problems.

SJ said...

The metaphor is faulty because women who treat you bad don't necessarily give you the shits.

By the by...Amazing Race begins next Tuesday.