Tuesday, September 13

When I Was Twenty

When I was 20 years old, I was busy trying to correct myself to all of the world. I was trying to reconcile who I was as a person with the things I saw in the people around me. I don't think those parts of me have disappeared altogether, but I do think they've faded a bit with age. It's like a favorite old sweater: it becomes more and more comfortable until it's at the stage where it's almost a pain in the ass to wear anything else, and at that point you realize that it's gotten so worn that it's embarassing to show in public. And then you decide to start making your own sweaters and stop caring what people think of you.

If I think really hard, or if I start talking to a twenty-year-old girl, it really hits me how little I knew when I was that age. I love being able to guide them, or at least talking to them and being the one person to forgive them their minor errors in life. I had many errors at that time, why shouldn't I be the one to make them feel good about the things they've done?

I know it's a selfish way to be, but when you've been living somewhere for almost a year and the only people you've become friends with (that aren't your husband's friends - I love you, husband's friends!) are 16-20, you start to really understand how much you have to give. Even if it's only old stories and advice. How much would I have given to know that no matter how much I was tormented over a decision at 20, I would laugh at the outcome at 25? Probably not much, because I was broke. But it's the thought that counts, right?

PS: All the standard drunken posting exceptions/forgivenesses apply in this post, please.

4 comments:

Byagi said...

Things change a lot between those ages and our age. I think sometimes it is hard to remember that we've changed and that maybe whatever wisdom we think we have to impart isnt what they need to hear....or isnt what they're ready to hear. Finding friends and meeting new people can be hard, especially if youre in a situation where you don't get to meet a lot of new people. I think the best thing you can do in that situation is to find other ways to get out there and be around new and interesting people. This will allow you to at least meet others. You've got some good things going and some good leads on new things in life. I think if you seriously consider them, you might be pleasantly surprised.

Scuba said...

Had a great time hangin with you 2 last nite!! Thanks for the reminders of what friends are for. Chillin, eatin, talkin, drinkin and just being there for each other. I miss nights like those. We need to make sure and do them more often...how bout those eyetoy video's?? LMAO...

oh and nice header sunny!! Just n case I forgot to tell you that!!

Nobody said...

It's weird, the older you get... the wiser you get. Some aspects of grower older SUCK. Wrinkles, crows feet, sagging ass (need I go on).

But I have to say, wouldn't go back to 20 even if you PAID me (unless it was for a weekend to use my incredibly toned and unsaggy then Bod- ha ha).

The older you get ... the better it gets.

Jess said...

Sage-like wisdom increases with age. Amazingly enough, 16 and 25 really are light years apart. Good for you for being a "Yoda" of your own.