Wednesday, August 9

Why Don't You Marry Her?

Along with Lisa, I've been working on my self-esteem over the past three years. I say three because although she's been helping me off and on for over ten (can you believe it Lease? Ten years?) we've only really been connected for good for about three of them. There were times in there, crazy exes and crazy stupid college mistakes and nasty guys neither one of us should have found attractive and yet we fought over them sometimes, etc... we've been very close for about three years now.

The past year-and-a-half when I was living in Hickstown, USA, I really noticed how much of my self-esteem rests on her shoulders. I'm sorry to burden her with this, but it's the truth - a lot of my self-worth comes from knowing someone that awesome thinks that I'm pretty funny and cool. There are a lot of things about our relationship that some people might find daunting, like the unspoken competition that sometimes gets the better of us, but I think a little competition really spurs us on to great things. Unless there's a Mike Price involved, and then it's just wrong. In all senses of the word.

So, on Sunday night Lisa commented on how alike her and Bruce are, and how alike I and Todd are, and it made me think. I'm thinking that it makes no sense really for us to be with people we're exactly the same as, and all sense for us to pick someone who compliments us in the ways that Lisa and I compliment each other. For example, if Lisa and Bruce were together, they would spend all their time worrying about various money situations, and rarely let loose and really have fun. If Todd and I were together, we'd be homeless and begging quarters off of people to drink with in order to be the life of the party all the time. No one wants to spend time with either of those couples. It makes perfect sense to me that I would find a guy like Lisa to marry, and that Lisa would find a guy like me to marry. Of course.

After all, we always were the best couple in town.

[I may have been drunk when I wrote this.]

1 comment:

Jess said...

Ah, my darling. If you thought Springpatch was Hicksville, you haven't seen nothin' yet. Let me tell you about a place called Jefferson County, MO; it's a hick's dream come true.

Chrome = duct tape
Glass = clear plastic

Makes me all teary eyed just thinking about it.