Friday, December 23

Warning: Feminine Stuff Ahead.

Do not venture further unless you are comfortable with the female body and it's functions.

I was at Little Miss Knit's blog tonight, and I came across an interesting article she'd linked to. It started an interesting discussion about womens' bodies and how we feel about our period as a whole. What do you think?

I brought my responce over here, because it got pretty long and I wanted your opinions*:

"I guess I'm against the majority here, but I'd totally do it. I don't believe that in order to be a womanly woman I need to bleed from the crotch once a month. No offense to those women who enjoy it, but I don't. At all.

I haven't read all the studies there are about this particular drug, but a pharmacist once told me that most of the pills in Europe are designed so the women who take them only get 4 periods a year. According to her (and she was around when this was happening), they did a survey of some people (mostly doctors) and asked them which option - periods once a month or four times a year - the US population would prefer, and more doctors (at that time mostly men) claimed that women here like having our periods. That's how she explained it to me.

(Warning, non-medical content ahead) I also don't think that women were necessarily designed to have our periods as often as we do now. For most of our history, women have been either pregnant or nursing for most of their fertile lives, and most pregnant or nursing women don't have their periods every month. Again, this isn't strictly medical, it's more an idea I hold because I like to think about things too much. Take it as you will - I'm not in a research mode tonight.

I don't have debilitating periods, but it's sure as hell inconvenient and if there were a completely safe alternative that would not affect my future fertility, I would absolutely take it.

I also should state for the record that I'm absolutely not disgusted with my bodily fluids, I'm not religious, I don't feel "dirty", I'm not uncomfortable with myself, I just don't like buying new underwear."

*Also, I don't like having written this much and not having it on my blog. It's something I've given a lot of (probably too much) thought to, and I want to know how you girls feel about it. Please, let me know!

1 comment:

susan said...

I'm totally with you on this, Sunny. Totally.