Thursday, October 21

Avoid Rabid Bats, People.

Tragedy. It really takes on a new meaning sometimes, doesn't it?

I'll sum it up, for those of you too lazy to read the news story: Girl goes to church. Girl plays with bat. Girl gets bitten by said bat. Girl (and girl's family) deem bite "insignifigant". About a month later, Girl feels funny. Two days later, Girl goes to doctor. Doctor tests Girl for rabies. Test comes back positive. Girl is probably not going to make it. Girl dies at 15.

This is horrible. I know that, you know that. The whole world knows that. Well, those who know about the story do. I just increased the number of horrified people, and I'm pretty proud. Five more people think this story is horrible, all thanks to me.

People, how many times have you heard horror stories about rabies? Who hasn't seen Old Yeller? Show of hands. That's what I thought. Come on. You get bit by a strange animal, go to a freaking doctor.

What's up with the "insignifigant" bit, by the way? Since when is getting bit by anything "insignifigant"?

When I was 8, my best friend's dog was being teased at the end of his tether by the neighbor girl. He jumped up, trying to play with her, and accidentally caught her cheek with his paw. He was put to sleep for fear of rabies. The girl didn't even need any stitches.

When did getting bit by a bat, the animal most likely, of all wild animals*, to have rabies, become something people could call insignifigant?!

I beg of you, if you get bit by an animal, go to the doctor. If nothing else, those bites can pack a whollop of an infection.


*statistic created by sunnyfreakingday, and since disproven by B. Please refrain from correcting me. I know that it's really elephants who are the most likely to carry rabies.

1 comment:

Byagi said...

I....have never seen Old Yeller. I admit it. I have, however seen Cujo, and that scared the shit out of me, rabies, demon possession or not.


This is a sad story, regardless.