Friday, October 29

Deer Hunting

I used to be part of a message board that debated hunting until I was blue in the face - simply from reading all of the responces. I got sick of defending my dad, so I just decided to say, "Fuck it", and not read any more. Probably the reason for that message board's demise. As you all know, I talk a lot.

Anyway, a few days ago, I started changing my opinion. Surprisingly, it has nothing to do with the first dead deer I saw (MamaSunny remembers me toddling outside and seeing it hanging as a carcass and screaming, "BAMBI!!!"). It has more to do with the preparations.

My mother is making all sorts of indescribably disgusting food for the season. It's early hunting season in Wisconsin this weekend, and you would not believe the shit that's bubbling on the stove this week. I wouldn't believe it either, but it's stinking to high heaven and I can't seem to avoid it.
  • Boiled Dinner (Apparently made by boiling the most disgusting parts of a pig in some sort of broth, with lots of cabbage. Disgusting.)
  • Pickled Eggs (They're stewing in my fridge. Although most unappealing - incredibly so, really - helpful for people on a diet.)

That's it, really. Lots of bologna, too, and Jack Daniels. It's all adding up to a weekend in which I'll remember constantly to be thankful that I'm not sleeping in a one-bedroom shack with the men consuming copious quantities of said food.

I know that not all states have the same laws on deer hunting as we do, neither do they get as attached to the sport as we are. Anyone have any opinions on the sport?

2 comments:

Byagi said...

No real formed opinion on hunting right now, but I can tell you that someone is going to get hurt by the gaseous output of pickled eggs and whatever boiled pig goo is going on in there.

Reminds me of a story about pig testicles.....

shara said...

Never been deer hunting - never been hunting anything, except free shots of Jack and maybe compliments...but I don't imagine it would be my thing. Especially with all that pig & cabbage boiling going on.

Coming from a Russian background, and marrying into a Polish family, I'm quite familiar with cabbage. And I do enjoy it. But oh, you pay for it later, that's for sure. I won't go into any more detail, except to say this: Thanksgiving is coming up, which I'm sure is translated as 'much gas-producing food' in Polish....and I'm not looking forward to cuddling up with my husband THAT night, I can tell you.

But back to the deer thing. I'm a confirmed carnivore, and I have had venison on occasion, and I figure hunting is fine as long as you eat what you kill. Getting your steak in plastic wrap & styrofoam is a lot more aesthetically appealing to me - but meat comes from dead animals no matter who does the killing. That sounds gruesome, doesn't it? Guess it's one of those 'circle of life things' to quote that grasshopper in "A Bug's Life".

Oh Sunny. I'm sorry for going on so long. I'm just in a rambling mood today.