Thursday, August 19

Argggh!

or: My Love/Hate Relationship With My Job

every time i left today, even for the tiniest, most insignifigant amount of time, something went wrong. there were problems waiting for me after my first break (10 minutes), my lunch (this one had been since before i left - so approximately 45 minutes), my second break (7 minutes), and my excursion into the store to find our (new and exciting!) filing system (3 minutes, 34 seconds). it's frustrating, because i feel like tomorrow (my day off), things are going to go to hell, complete with transportation (handbasket, of course). i left three notes for the girls, though, and all of them said, "Feel FREE to call", with my number attached. so hopefully, they won't feel too guilty about giving me a ring (or, in becky and hope's cases, too stubborn to admit they need my help). just re-remembered that i locked my keys in there, though, so i know that i'll be showing up to explain some things (oops, i meant 'get my keys') at some point tomorrow. that's a relief.

now, here's the reason it makes me happy. every time i came back from wherever i was during the day, i was met with an, "Oh, thank GOD!" and someone running to me to fix something. i adore being needed, and i still feel like i'm necessary. i love that (at least two of) my girls come to me when they need issues. it shows me that they trust me, and that they want to learn from me, before they learn from someone else. that makes me all warm/fuzzy, because i know i'm doing a good job, and that they feel comfortable learning from me. can't say enough how much i love that feeling :). also, it tells me i'm being a good teacher, because 9 times out of 10, when i re-show them how i fix something, they say, "Ooooh, YEAH! NOW i remember." that tells me that they're intelligent, and they're actually picking things up.. also, they're becoming more sure of themselves.. a great feeling. i feel like i'm training a puppy, at times (keep in mind i ADORE puppies, no matter how frustrating they can be!), but it's times when i see them calmly and assuredly take care of an issue themselves that make me PLEASED. there are times, too, (and this really makes me want to float away to cloud 10.5..) that i've seen one of them teach another. to hear them using the way i taught them, my little tricks, to explain to each other.. it's an amazing feeling. i'm like a proud papa, at work. (yeah, mama might be a little more appropriate, but it doesn't have the same ring, damnit, and this is my blog.)

No comments: