Wednesday, August 18

Background Noise

what sort do you need? what sort to you under-appreciate, when you really think about it?

when i'm here alone, i have the tv on. it's company, it's a voice. usually animal planet, or discovery channel, or VH1.. just for a noise.

under-appreciated? that's the sound of the screen door in front, slowly closing. i adore that noise. dunno exactly why. any ideas?

the sound of a zipper, the same.. only i know it's because it reminds me of camping, and being in a tent, and it being late at night, and someone coming back from pissing in the woods. weird, i know, but somehow, it makes me happy. any time i make a zipper noise, it makes me pleased. even if it's just on jeans. (might be other reasons for that, though.)

3 comments:

Byagi said...

I need the tv. It hasn't turned off since saturday, and I've not watched one show. Not one. MTV, VH1 or HBO.

Maybe you like the screen door sound because it's the sound of someone being there. Someone coming to see you that you want to see and you know wants to see you. The sound of not being alone. Unless they are leaving, and if thats the case, I dont know.

Zipper for the same reasons. Something you love and someone you love (or like or appreciate or)coming back to you. Maybe it makes you think of being close, maybe being intertwined with someone and still knowing you are outside somewhere, beneath the night sky in a place you never want to give up sharing that with someone that you want to share it with. You can appreciate that kind of thing.

or maybe its the other reasons and zippers are just your thing. Somehow, I'm thinking probably not so much.

Byagi said...

oh, or comedy central as of late.

Jess said...

I need the sound of a fan or the air conditioner. I can't explain it, but those sounds are calming. All spring and summer I have a fan running on low at night while I sleep. During the winter, I've had a space heater that hums (because I was in the basement and it's cold down there). No matter what, I've always had some noise when I sleep. It's comforting.

I also like to have the noise of the TV running in the background when I am home alone. It makes the house seem bigger and as if it has some life to it besides just me. Otherwise, everything closes in on me, and I feel muffled with silence.

Under-appreciated? The singing of the frogs and the june bugs outside my parents' house during the summers. I never realized how much I connect that with being home or being happy. I also connect it with warmth and the smell of freshly mowed grass and damp earth.

Also, the creaking of floorboards. I miss it when I don't hear it. Luckily, R.'s house still creaks enough to make me feel like I'm at home.